Friday, March 30, 2012

The story of Wheatley

Wheatley is my best friend. And yes, he's "just a dog".

He came into my life last June. I had told my kids "no more animals". We already had a doxie and a bull dog. Not to mention the cats, the horse, the chickens, the bird, the fish...you get the idea.

My husband and my younger two came home one afternoon grinning sheepishly, the middling hiding something behind his back. He pulled out this gray, tan, and black furball and plopped it in my arms. I got a lick on the cheek and at that moment, I fell in love.


 He quickly befriended our bulldog (the doxie, not so much) but above all else, Wheatley became *my* dog.



He's at my feet...always. While I'm working, he's curled up under the desk. If I'm in the kitchen, he's right there. In the garden, he's helping dig holes...not necessarily what I want him to be doing but he thinks he's helping soooo...



The past couple of months have been really bad for me. I lost my MIL, as well as a few other mini catastrophes. I can't count the number of times I buried my face in Wheatley's neck and cried my heart out. He'd let me have my cry but he wouldn't let me feel sorry for myself for long. He'd run and grab a tennis ball, drop it at my feet and insist on a game of catch. Before I knew it, my spirits would be lifted and I'd be laughing again.



About a month ago, I went out to put Wheatley in his pen for the night. He begged not to go in. We live in the middle of about 80 acres so it's never been a big deal to leave him loose to run and chase rabbits at night. It was really cold that night so, even though I had a little inkling that I shouldn't, I left him loose. Unfortunately, that was the wrong choice. He was hit by a car that night. I have so beat myself up over making that decision.

My youngest made a cross for his grave.


I love you Wheatley....you were such a good boy! You are missed.

Please continue the circle by checking out Liat's story for this month!

18 comments:

  1. Oh, Nancy! I am crying. I'm so sorry my friend. He looks like he was a wonderful friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so sorry Nancy! He was so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh i was not expecting that ending to this story!!! i'm so sorry nancy. our one and only dog was hit by a car too. so sad:-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, Nancy. I'm crying for you. I am SO sorry to hear this. The cross your son made is beautiful. He was a very good boy. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my Nancy this is not how I wanted this post to end, no words can say how sorry I am. I did love all the images of him but truly I wanted a happy ending. This is just he sadest. Sooooo sorry is all I have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry, Nancy. This post made me cry, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you have these amazing images to remember him by. (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Nancy. I was smiling until I got to the end. I'm so, so sorry for your loss :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! This is breaking my heart. I am so sorry you lost your sweet boy. He looks like he was a great dog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. :( I was not expecting that ending.. and my heart just broke. So sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sad story. You are hereby only allowed to write about happy stories that have happy endings!!

    OK I'm back. I'm sorry you lost your faithful companion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no. This made me cry. Wheatly was a beautiful dog. I love the cross.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh I'm so sorry xx. I dont know what to say but what a beautiful doggie. I'm sorry

    ReplyDelete
  13. So very sad - how precious that you have these images to remind you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no! I am so sorry for your loss :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Nancy, I am bawling my eyes out. I am so sorry for your loss. He was such a beautiful boy and I am so glad you got to spend some time with this pure soul. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am crying so hard!!!!!!! what a doll baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohhhh, Nancy. My heart breaks. I love dogs, they are such great friends to us, aren't they. And it looks like you had one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry about Wheatley, Nancy. I know how much you love him. This post made me cry. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Have a great day!